The Order of Defense (Defence) is the Peerage Order for rapier combat. Companions of this Order are titled "Master" or "Mistress" and may put the abbreviation (OD?) behind their name. Masters of Defense are known by the regalia of a white livery collar and to bear the badge: (Tinctureless) Three rapiers in pall inverted tips crossed. . It is equal in rank to the Knight, Master of Arms, Laurel and Pelican.
HistoryCaid Commons] until it can be documented for the MiddleWiki.
On April 18, 2015 (AS XLIX) at the Grand Tournament of the Unicorn, the premier members of the Order of Defense were announced and put on vigil by King Cadogan and Queen Anne Marie with the elevation date set for Coronation, May 2nd, 2015 (AS XL). The premiers of the order are: Anton Du Maris, Colin MacNish, Peter Grau Von Bremen.
As they had no peers of their Order to advise them, a group of Peers processed into court to serve as advisers included: Duke Alen, Duke Laurelen, Duke Moonwulf, Duke Talymar, Duke Eikbrandr, Duke Stephen, Duchess Elina, Mistress Gwyneth, Mistress Moira, Mistress Kirsten, Sir William, Master Brusten, Sir Ragnar just to name a few.
Sample Scroll Text
A Proclamation unto the Noble, Ancient, Victorious, and most Brave Kingdom of the Middle
All Gentles and Nobles know by these presents that We, <King/Queen>, King by right of arms of the Middle Kingdom, and <Consort> our Queen, in consideration of his courtesy, skill, and honor both on and off the field, are right mindful to recognize our subject, <Recipient>, as a Master of Defense of the Society, to be in all places of honor numbered as a Peer of our Realm, and a member of the Order of Defense, with all of the rights, privileges, insignia, precedence, and responsibilities thereto appertaining. Done by our hands this <date>, Anno Societatis <SCA year>, in our <location>
Equity requires and reason ordains that men virtuous and of noble courage be rewarded for their merits by renown, and therefore We, (Name), (King/Queen) by right of arms of the Middle Kingdom, and (Name), Our gracious (Queen/King), not only by common renown but also by the report and testimony of other noble men worthy of credence are truly advised and informed that (Recipient Name) has long pursued feats of Rapier Combat and as well in this as in other affairs has borne (himself/herself) valiantly and conducted (himself/herself) honourably so that (he/she) has deserved and is well worthy, henceforth perpetually and forever (he/she) may be in all places honourably admitted, renowned, and numbered a Peer of Our Realm and a member of our Order of Defence; with all rights, privileges, insignia, precedence, and responsibilities thereto appertaining. And furthermore do We confirm unto (him/her) by these letters Patent the right to bear arms as duly registered with the College of Arms. Done by Our hand and seal this (ordinal) day of (month), A.S. (year) in Our (location).
Masters of Defense of the Middle Kingdom
- Anton Du Marais - Premiere elevated May 2, 2015 (AS 50)
- Colin MacNish - Premiere elevated May 2, 2015 (AS 50)
- Peter Grau Von Bremen - Premiere elevated May 2, 2015 (AS 50)
- Terrance of Tyndale - Elevated July 4, 2015 (AS 50)
- Adhamh MacAoidh - Elevated July 4, 2015 (AS 50)
- Lucas Otto Gustaf Oswald Stefan von Schnecke, called LOGOS - Elevated July 4, 2015 (AS 50)
- Adam Comyn - Elevated September 19, 2015 (AS 50)
- Christian Fournier - Elevated January 16, 2016 (AS 50)
- Cecil du Pont - Elevated February 13, 2016 (AS 50)
- Maximilian der Zauberer - Elevated April2, 2016 (AS 50)
- Vindis Sigtrygson - Elevated July 9, 2016 (AS 51)
- Darius Lowen - Elevated August 11, 2016 (AS 51)
- Adam Carmychel - Elevated August 12, 2016 (AS 51)
- Nerissa della Badessa - Elevated August 12, 2016 (AS 51)
- Vincent Furnier - Elevated September 10, 2016 (AS 51)
- Kai Tseng - Elevated September 17, 2016 (AS 51)
- Azriel le Fey - Elevated January 21, 2017 (AS 51)